Friday, August 6, 2010

Carla's Blueberry Breakfast Cake



Carla Sorter is a wonderful woman. I knew that before. Now that she's given me this recipe, she's my superhero for the day. ; P

She asked me not to accredit this recipe to her, because she did not create it, but rather copied it from somewhere else. However, I figure this is how family recipes and legends are transferred. Do any of us really have a unique recipe to call our own that someone hasn't already made somewhere? Who knows. I guess that's a question for another day...

For now, we will call it:

"Carla's Blueberry Breakfast Cake" aka "D Please Take It Away and Hide It In Ethiopia Before I Eat It All... Cake".

What you'll need:

For the cake -
1/2 c butter
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
2 c blueberries
1 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk

For the crumb topping -
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t cardamon
1/4 c butter

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.



Cream the butter & sugar until fluffy. I put the butter in the microwave for about ten seconds, and I don't have a mixer so I did this with a whisk and my super human strength in a vigorous fashion!!

Mix in the egg.

In a separate bowl, combine the following: flour, baking powder, and salt.



Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk and combine well.



Fold in the blueberries. Eat a few. Fold a few. Eat a few. PRAY you get blueberries as big and as luscious as the ones Carla gave me. Holy. Moly.

Pour into a greased 8x8 pan. I always grease with butter. But that's only because butter is one of the best friends I have. Mmmmmm.

Set the pan aside.

Now make the topping...

Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, and cardamon in a bowl.

Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. I couldn't find my pastry blender so I used a whisk and hacked at it like a cereal killer. It felt good.

Sprinkle the topping over the cake mixture.



Even though there's butter in the topping already, I layered additional slices of butter on top because that's how I roll.

Oh yeah.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Stick a knife or a toothpick in her at the end to see if she's done and voila!!







We, of course, ate it hot with yet another slice of butter on the top.

Absolutely disgusting, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment