Monday, August 20, 2012

Country Platter: Dinner #5 White Chicken Enchiladas

 

It was May of 2009. 

I was shoveling these bad boys in my mouth and drooling at the same time. 

And I was on a date. 

No dish in the world triggers memories of my courting days with D more than these enchiladas. 

This was the first dinner he ever made me. 

I was convinced then that I would keep him. Forever. And nothing would stop me!! 

Muhuhuhuhhahahaha!!! 

These enchiladas are kid-friendly, easy-peasy, and scream 'comfort food'. 

And the best part? There's no rolling involved. There's just something I hate about rolling enchiladas. A lot. 

What You'll Need: 
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can shredded chicken
1 can green chilies
½ cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
corn tortillas (around 10)

NOTE: This recipe list will fill one 9x9 pan. If you're working with a 9x13, go ahead and double the ingredients. Also, when I made these tonight, I was making enough for a 9x13 plus another family who just had babies. So don't be freaked out by the quantity of filling in my bowl. I quadrupled this recipe tonight.




Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.



Combine the cream of chicken, shredded chicken, green chilies, and sour cream in a bowl like so. 


Mix it all up nice a purdy. 

Now take a spatula, and cover the bottom of your pan like ziss... 

Throw some cheese on there.

Then add a layer of corn tortillas. They can be yellow. They can be white. Whatever tickles your fancy. I break them in half, and put them around the edges, then fill in the middle. It's rocket science. Really. 


Repeat the chicken mix, cheese, tortilla layering until you run out of chicken mix. You do want to make sure you end with the chicken mix. Generally, my goal is to get three layers of tortilla in there. That's usually perfect. 

Top with more cheese and get ready to throw this bad boy in the oven. At this point, you can also cover and freeze if you feel so inclined. These freeze really well, and since everything is already cooked, you don't have to worry about how they'll heat up later. They do great! Just make sure they're nice and sealed so's you's don'ts haves any freezer burn. 

Don't ask. It's late and I'm tired. 

Okay it's 7:30pm and I'm tired. 

I'm tired. 

Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling. There's a fine balance between gooey, melty, delicious cheese and over-cooked rubber cheese. So watch it. 

Let those bad boys rest for 5 minutes before serving. 

Don't forget, these are layered enchiladas, not rolled, so you don't have to go fishing for the seam. Just cut into them and serve! Yet another reason why rolled enchiladas are inferior. Just sayin'. 


SIDES: I serve this with the most amazing corn chips on Planet Earth, and black beans. The chips are Juanita's, and I'm serious... once you buy these, nothing else will ever be good enough. Ever. I buy ours from Winco. Eight bags at a time!

As for the black beans, I grab a can, I open it, I dump the entire contents ("sauce" included) into a small saucepan, I add garlic salt, and I boil/simmer those suckers for about 20 minutes. They thicken up and become really tender, and the garlic salt adds such a beautiful touch. I don't even like beans, per say, and I eat these. Yum.

GROCERY LIST: 
cream of chicken soup
shredded chicken
green chilies
sour cream
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese
corn tortillas

No comments:

Post a Comment