Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 20

The last week has gone by really fast. The last three weeks have actually been quite a blur, to be honest. But something in the doctors' tones has recently changed. Instead of focusing on the next day, or even hour, they are talking in terms of weeks and even months. They are generally more optimistic, even though McKell's little lungs are still struggling to catch up with him. He's on what they call full feedings, meaning he is getting all of his calories by mouth instead of by IV. They are trying to wean him off of he ventilator he is on and move him to a conventional vent, which would mean I could hold him, and it would do less damage to his lungs. But they are getting progressively better...even though we feel like we take a step back for every two steps forward. It is a long road, and we are not out of the woods yet, but we can see the light up ahead.

5 comments:

  1. Leah, we live five minutes up the hill from the hospital. We are leaving for a month starting next Tuesday. Do you need a place to stay? You could stay here. Our home will be empty until close to the end of July. There is plenty of room and some extra beds if some of your family needed a place to stay too. Our cat could keep you company. I don't have your phone number, so give me a call. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a amazing update. When I read day 20, I thought, man, this has been a long 20 days, but to see your optimism is inspiring. I am so excited to hear he is progressing, albeit slowly, it is still progress. McKell has awesome parents, keep up the hard work- he's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Mac!!!! Faith, what in the world is it going to be like to read this blog in 10 years? It makes me cry to even think about it. I love you. You're already an amazing mommy, and I'm proud to call you my sister. I can't wait to see you again in August. *sigh* So. Far. Away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome news!!! Every little step forward is a wonderful thing. I pray her will be moved up in his bedding so that you can hold him. I am a FIRM believer that a Mother's and Father's touch is the key to helping baby grow and be strong....before you know it you will be nursing him. I know that was a BIG turning point for us. I continue to pray for Mac every day. May you all be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're strength amazes me! Thanks for sharing...You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete