Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What CAN'T Zucchini Do??

I started this post and then forgot about it somewhere between grading papers, reading the Hunger Games series (which I totally recommend as some fine YA fiction), and cleaning my house...because this is what it often looks like in my kitchen.

 

It's a crying shame too, that you had to wait for so long for it though, because if there is one thing that can compete with the chocolate zucchini cake for top zuke spot, it is zucchini salsa. I'm serious people.  I can eat a jar of this stuff in one sitting, chips are optional.

Start with 10 cups of food-processed zucchini.  Add four chopped onions, four chopped bell peppers, and 1/4 cup of pickling salt.  Let that stand overnight, of for at least six hours.

 
 

Next, rinse and drain the mix, making sure to press on it to get most of the water out.  No one likes watery salsa.  Put it in a pot and add the following million secret ingredients that make it so divine you want to eat nothing else for a while:
  • 2 Tbs. of dry mustard
  • 2 Tbs. of garlic powder
  • 2 Tbs. of cumin
  • 1 C and 1 Tbs. of white vinegar
  • 3/4 C of brown sugar
  • 1 - 2 Tbs. of red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. of pepper
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 - 4 jalapenos (Use gloves and don't touch your eyes. I'm speaking from experience here.)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
  • 5 C of chopped ripe tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs. of cornstarch
  • 12 ounces of tomato paste
Bring that to a boil and simmer until you get your desired thickness.


Look at all those beautiful garden grown veggies.

 

Come to mama.

 


Pour into clean bottles and water bath those babies for about 20 minutes.  Makes about eight pints.

 

I really think that this could be a positive step toward world peace.  You just cannot think about hurting anyone when you are as happy as this salsa will make you.

1 comment:

  1. I want! I want! I waaaaaaaant!!!!!!! I'm afraid salsa is off the docket for me until this baby is here... stupid heart burn. BUT!!!!! I do believe I AM bringing a suitcase full of truffles and pickles and strawberry-rhubarb jam and I DO BELIEVE that suitcase will be EMPTY when we head hooooooommmee!!!

    Unless I have the baby while we're in Utah... then I might put him in it. Or the placenta. I hear they make great teddy bears.

    Sick.

    It's early and I haven't been sleeping well.

    Sick.

    Love you!!

    Laura Lou

    ReplyDelete