Sunday, October 7, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Chili Soup

So, you'll notice there is no picture for this post.  I didn't expect to post it, so I didn't document the process.  And then we ate it so fast, I didn't even get a picture of the end result.  It was gone and I was, like, "Whoa. That was awesome."  but I didn't have a recipe so I wanted to remember how I made it and it occurred to me that this is the place to do that.

Here's the deal: I work three part time jobs, was finishing a college class, have a one year old, and spend way too much time on Pinterest.  I'm busy, man.  I teach high school every other day, rotating days every week.  I also am the administrator for the Adult Ed program in our district, so I work every Tuesday and Thursday night.  That means that dinner on those days that I teach from 8-4 and then have to go back to the school from 5:45-8 or so is really tricky.  I needed something that would be ready to eat when I walked in the door.  So, I remembered that we had a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in our freezer and it is starting to get chilly, so chicken soup just seemed like a good idea.  I had also recently canned some chicken broth that I wanted to use.  The following is how it all came together.

On Monday night, I threw the following into a crock pot:

*Half an onion, diced
*Half a green pepper, diced
*Three cloves garlic, diced
*Two frozen chicken breasts (they were huge and we ended up giving quite a bit to Jon's mama and dad for dinner because there was so much)
*Two cups broth
*One can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilis)
*One can of tomato sauce
*One can each of kidney and great northern white beans, drained
*Couple of tsps of salt
*Pepper to taste
*Palmful of ground cumin, paprika, marjoram, sage, parsley, oregano and basil
*Splash of Worcestershire sauce and chili sauce (I used Tampico)
*Handful of brown sugar (to taste)

After 8 hours on low, I removed the chicken breasts and shredded them and then returned them to the pot.  It didn't taste quite right though, so I added a bit more salt, Worcestershire sauce and that is when I added a handful of brown sugar.  Sweetening it just a touch made all the difference.  I ate it with a dollop of sour cream and it would have been great with tortilla chips, but it was great without them too.

So, if you are looking for a minimum effort dinner that is perfect for the onset of autumn, here you go.



No comments:

Post a Comment